Saturday 8 October 2011

The Changing of the Seasons...


Winter is on the way in Lyon
I have never been eager to play sport. Never. When I was in primary school and in my junior years of high school I did everything possible to get out of the compulsary physical education. I faked sprained ankles, head-aches, and when I was old enough - the best and most convincing excuse.....cramps.

Being terribly uncoordinated and perhaps down right unlucky, instead of balls wizzing past my head as I stood on the field daydreaming, they always managed to hit me. Anyway,  I saw nothing positive related to sport... and, well the game of 'extreme tag' that took place during my orientation week of university that left me with a broken finger simply confirmed that sport and I simply do not mesh.

However! Earlier this year I turned around! In order to stay in better shape I took up swimming again. I was forced to swim as a child (as living by the sea I had anxious parents) and didn't particularly enjoy it - but I had two options. Option A. Running was entirely out of the question (I risked tripping over and I burn out far too quickly) or there was option B. Swimming laps. I gave B a chance and actually surprised myself. I could swim for a good 45 minutes without stopping. Perfect. I somehow, miraculously kept this up all through first semester - and thus managed to maintain my waist line.

This last week I decided that enough was enough - the bread was catching up with me. I had to make the splash. I bought myself some fancy speedo gear and then I had no excuses. I was bound for the pool. Yesterday evening was when the adventure started.

I went with Aziz (my house mate) to find the pool...which is conveniently located directly behind the gym where he trains for hand ball every night. It was all going well. I walked in, asked for one entry and then tried to get through the metal things that turn (that I don't know what they're called in English) anyhoo...I went to the left. I pushed at it. Nothing. Really...I wasn't going anywhere. It took me a few moments to realise that this isn't Australia (you need to stick to the right here) and the lady behind me, as well as the three at the main desk made a bit of a scene. I somehow got through and then progressed to the change room. I wasn't yet in my swim gear (and was obviously wearing shoes). As I walked to the change rooms I had a crazy woman throw herself at the glass and make some obscene gestures. It was then I realised that it was a 'no shoe' area. Go figure. See, if people didn't think I was French, perhaps they'd be more sympathetic. I just looked like an idiot....and well, not an uninformed Australian girl.

Swimming itself was actually ok. You see, back at the Melbourne University pool I am a turtle. I'm in the slow lane with all the incompetent old women (and even they are easily frustrated by how slowly I swim). There was one lane for those wanting to do laps, but there was another, larger section that I thought I'd give a shot first (this would allow me to swim at the slow pace I swim at). I crashed into people though! I was swimming too fast! I shocked myself! I discreetly moved across into the other lane...but even there I was swimming faster than everyone else...and frankly I was impressed with my sporting ability and I think I have the right to brag about this (if you're judging me, thinking that I shouldn't be bragging, refer to paragraphs one and two). In front of me was an enormous, hairy fellow who flapped his arms around and looked as if he was drowning... I tried to overtake him, but with every effort he'd speed up, so it was as if we were racing each other to the other end of the pool...ok, fine I'll give the guy some credit - he'd come to the pool to get into shape, but seriously! I was however, very persistent and swam for the entire 45 minutes. Today I am sore, so I think that it did something... I'll be back on Monday (hold me to that)!

The other exciting event of the week took place on Thursday evening. I was at home...doing the dishes. Harmless, right? Well apparently scrubbing plates can kill. I was doing just that, washing a plate and.... it just broke. Just like that. I found it so hilarious that I laughed and laughed and laughed and it took a few minutes to realise that I'd slit my wrist in the process, missing the main artery by less than a millimetre. Luckily I have a great house mate who helped bandage me up. For the next day I got a few strange looks...as yeah, I looked kind of suicidal. Check it out. It's pretty serious.



In other news, the seasons are changing (which you may have guessed). Yesterday was 12 degrees colder than Thursday...and today was even colder. I think it was about 14 or 13 degrees. Winter is well on its way. After a church activity this afternoon I came home (in the rain) and rugged up in my woolies. Scarf included. We won't have any heating here until mid-November...which will be hard. This was my kitchen this evening.


Yep. Fogged glass means that it's cold. Brrrrr. So now I leave you...time for warm pyjamas and blanket, to snuggle down and listen to General Conference that I missed last week!

Alice

No comments: