Monday 2 January 2012

GOD JUL (Merry Christmas in Danish)

December 22nd called for a morning flight to good ol' Copenhagen. Toke and Dorte met me at the airport, I arrived home and was so relieved. I played with Asger and Johan and later that night had a haircut (FINALLY). The 24th was the day, though. That afternoon we went to the local Danish Orthodox church (it was small, cosy and beautiful). The boys were very well behaved too. We then returned home and ate our huge Christmas dinner. It was very different to back home, but it was really interesting and even more so, as I did think a lot about my Danish ancestors and the way that they would have celebrated Christmas.





After dinner we rushed into the living room and shoved the dozens of presents we had underneath the tree. Afterwards we lit the real candles (in Georg Jensen holders) on the fresh Christmas tree. We crowded in there all together and danced around, singing traditional Danish carols (well.. Except for me. I just giggled at how funny these sounded while sort of skipping). Asger was so SO SO excited.


We opened our gifts and I was thrilled to receive some warm gloves and ear warmers too... a good book, a beautiful journal and some 'room shoes' from my parents.... It was also an even better kick watching the kids open their presents. They were just so excited and so overwhelmed about it all.

Time in Denmark was wonderful. I was really happy to have some time at home and some time with people that I love. It doesn't even bother me that I don't get out of the house often. Micha and I went into Copenhagen one day and saw a film and did some things. It was nice. Very cold though.

As I left I found myself to be really excited about going to England, which I didn't think would happen. I'm always sad to leave my Nordic home though. I'll be back there in May, I hope.

In England now. Soggy London thoughts from a girl who has lost her voice somewhere near the Thames.

- Alice

No comments: