Friday 27 January 2012

What's Going On In Lion Town

It's been a couple of weeks now since I've written. I suppose it's because things aren't as exciting as backpacking around central Europe with Wendy. Back home now and back to the ways things are. It's so lovely to have Caro back home. We've done a lot of late night hot chocolate drinking and American TV show watching. 

I had a slight crisis a little while back with school. It was to do with subjects, poor communication and disorganisation at university here in Lyon. I had a little freak out, made some hurried emails back home and to Melbourne and now I think that things are starting to come together. I've started up a few classes at the political sciences university, Sciences Po. It's amazing. I was there this morning and it's CLEAN! It has proper tables without graffiti and even a TV in most rooms. Trust me, after having spent a semester at a university that couldn't afford projectors or proper heating... Or proper professors for that matter, I was on cloud nine.

Last week I trekked back up to Paris for a couple of days to see my little cousin, Saskia. I say 'little' cousin, as she was always my baby cousin... Though we're only 2 years apart in age. She's here in Europe representing the Model United Nations team for Australia (yeah, I already know how great and talented she is). After searching for her hotel for an hour, we found each other (thanks Mr Taxi driver)! It was particularly nice to see her, as we hadn't seen each other in a year... And as well as that, it did do some good to have a member of my pretty family present in Paris with me. We then made it to Les Tuileries gardens, strolled past Place de la Concorde and made it onto the Champs Elysées. Here are a couple of pictures


We then went to the town hall, past Notre Dame and straight into one of the world's most famous bookstores, Shakespeare and Co. We had a mooch around and then I believe that Sas bought a book by Hemingway. We ate at a Moroccan place for lunch and then we ran away to Musée d'Orsay. It's AMAZING there. Everyone who goes to Paris should go there and soak up how amazing it is... How amazing art is.... We finished our little Parisian excursion off with some obligatory shopping. We both found bargains at Naf Naf. It was a rather perfect day. 

I stayed with Chloé (lovely to see her again of course) before running back home to work out my studies.

Also I caught up with Harriet at some point. Harriet is a friend I met at one of Tom's gatherings a couple of years back. We got on really well and kept in contact (she's a Sydney girl) and now she's here studying in Lyon. It's fantastic! We had a lovely day full of views and chatting and walking in the park (of course with an obligatory hot chocolate at the end of it all). 

In other news, we have a kitten! Well... Caroline has a kitten. She's adorable. Her name is Mela (which means apple in Italian). Caro actually wanted to name her Apple in English... But I thought this was too strange. We opted for something a little more name-sounding. Here is her picture


This evening the children from across the hall came to play with Mela. They chased her around, they picked her up... They had a fantastic time (and scared the poor creature half to death). They were simply adorable speaking French though. At first when I hear babies speaking French I am always so impressed... It's as if I forget that it's their native language or something. Here's a video of them... So gorgeous!


I also received a wonderful gift in the mail from Nicole yesterday. Beaten into a weird shape due to air travel (but together and oh so crunchy), arrived a gigantic tin of Milo. The winter just got much, much easier now knowing that I can drink the stuff to my little heart's content.

This picture doesn't do my beaten Milo tin justice... It was REALLY beaten up, though the Milo was entirely in tact. That's all that really counts!

Over and out from the Milo drinker who misses cheddar cheese,

Alice

No comments: