Thursday 11 August 2011

C'est les VACANCES!!!

We've done a lot of planning but not a lot of doing these past few days. One of my first missions here in France made me realise that there's a least one French stereotype that in fact is reality - that is that they have an absolute obsession and love for paper work. Opening a French bank account was never going to be an easy mission, that's certain. The first time we went, the papers that we had to prove my address weren't good enough because they weren't originals and we needed Caroline's original means of identification. Yesterday we went with an original letter from Aziz, his actual passport and a letter from the land lord. The lady wasn't at the bank. Nobody was there. We took this opportunity of a free afternoon to visit the park near my apartment. The park is absolutely amazing. It was created the same year as Central Park and is of a similar size...in the middle of the city. Although I haven't really had a lot of time yet to explore it, I know that there's a zoo there, lots of little streams and playgrounds, places to buy crêpes, you can go cycling....

In brief, it was very GREEN, it was very calm  in spite of the fact there there were many people there and I finally had some time to relax and forget about paperwork for a bit. I think I'll be going there often. Here are some pictures:




As Chloé forgot her National Identity Card, she was unable to buy some necessary things, go to the bank...etc. This posed a few issues and essentially mean that she had to return to Grenoble to get it. She had to go back anyway because she just moved into a new apartment and doesn't really have much. As Ikea was involved, a chance to see Grenoble and to keep my dear friend company, I decided to follow her. Grenoble is stunning. From every one of Chloé's windows you can see mountains. The town is really nestled in between the mountains. Today we had some beautiful weather as well.




So today's first mission: BANK. The first time we went we had to make an appointment, so we went back at 4 pm for the appointment. We presented the documents. the original passports, the letter that Aziz had written, the letter from the land lord. It wasn't enough. They didn't accept the letter from the land lord, but instead wanted a bill with Aziz's name. Seriously.... after 45 minutes of uming and ahhing and trying to work out the issues, we made the account and then came to the conclusion that Caroline has to send some papers proving that I live in the apartment to the bank, so that they can verify everything. Seriously it was fortunate that the guy helping us was particularly good looking, or Chloé and I would have gone completely insane. Anyway, as you can tell - French bureaucracy = not friendly, nor simple.

Yesterday I had the chance to talk to Gladie! After 3 years.. When I called and spoke to her in French she had no idea who I was at the beginning and when she realised she said 'Alice! Mais tu parles le Français !' We're making plans! I can't wait. From Thursday on I'm going to be very busy... a trip to Toulouse to see Kévin with Chloé, then 5 days in the alpes, a night at home and then another 5 days away...in Denmark and then classes start...but it's summer, and I won't have much opportunity to see faces and places soon so...


 it's the time to make the most of everything!



No comments: