Tuesday 29 November 2011

Un Weekend dans le Froid


Thursday afternoon I boarded the train again. I think that SNCF (France's national train company) should give me some kind of discount. So I boarded the train and made the 5 hour trip to Metz, where I met Sophie, (who was the assistant in my French class in year 12). It was lovely to see her again.

Friday morning I took the train (which this time only took 10 minutes) and I arrived in Germany. It was COLLLLLLDDDD. I was wearing tights, 3 pairs of socks, a woollen skirt, knee-high boots, a long sleeved top, wool jumper, wool cardigan, wool scarf, hat and my huge woollen coat. I still had goose bumps. I'm trying to climatise... it's not easy for an Australian girl like me to adapt to European winters in December... in spite of my pastyness. I stocked up on warm socks from H&M, bought some cosmetics (which are significantly cheaper in Germany), practised my survival German and walked around the little Christmas market that was set up in Saarbrucken.


Sophie and I later watched a movie (a children's animation, titled 'A Monster in Paris', which was cute - and in the evening I helped her correct work from her English class (she's now an English teacher at a local high school). We laughed a lot while doing this, and thought I'd post one of the student's papers (this is a year 12 class). Their English is shocking... Sophie started teaching them a week ago and is panicked already about their final exams which will take place in March.

The real question: The girl finally reveals her identity. Imagine the conversation she has with him when she says who she is

           ~ The student's paper ~


The girl finally reveals her identity. Imagine the conversité she say him who she is.
Why want you was who I'am?
Because when your chat with a one personne I like know her identity
Ok, it's so good. My name is Brook you are satisfait?
Yes...good.
Why? You are know
Oh yes, the university of Mariland three years before her say?
Oh!!! No is impossible you is Brook Chase?
Yes!! It's me (funny, funny)
It's been a long time, I very happy the see.
Me too. You are no change, it's incroyable.
Neither do you.
What are you become?
I'am is teacher of language and you?
I'am headmaster of the compagny
Waou you have good job.
Thank you Brook, anyways, I'am happy the have to see.
Oh!! Is very nice mme too.
Good bye Brook
Good bye et good lucks.


Saturday was the highlight of my time away. We drove to Strasbourg, a beautiful Alsatian city with a river running through (so small that it's like a little canal). For those who don't know, Strasbourg is the Christmas capital of....the world it seems. The streets are full of little Christmas stalls, smells of cinnamon, nutmeg and everything else that tastes like Christmas waft through the freezing air.... And there are colours of red, green and gold everywhere. There's even a street where the Christmas decorations were designed by Swarovski. The place is Christmas heaven. The day was spent wondering through this.....well, wonderland and gazing at the beautiful cathedral too. It was Christmas holiday perfect, complete with an outdoor ice-rink.























Sophie had booked lunch for us at the best Alsatian restaurant (which was completely booked out) and there we ate good, heavy, wintery local food. Brotwurst, potatoes and sauerkraut. It was actually pretty good and helped us to heat up a little bit from the cold. Lunch was followed by a boat cruise along the river.




When the sun set and the cold, winter darkness crept in (at 4:30 pm of course), Strasbourg underwent a transformation and somehow became even more magical. We bought some gingerbread and drove back home... The perfect ending to a perfectly Christmassy day...






On Sunday we went to Le Centre Pompidou in Metz, which is a contemporary art museum. It was interesting to see the exhibition that was on. It was very original. There were a lot of sculptures, lights and mirrors. I quote that I liked from it was "To go straight ahead is scary, to go back is embarrassing."

I then went to the station to start the 5 and a half hour journey back home... And now I'm in Lyon, writing an analysis of a text by LĂ©vi-Strauss in French. A small sacrifice for the amazing things I'm doing in Europe. Needless to say, I am SOOOOO excited for the Christmas break. 

Take care, missed ones.

No comments: