Monday 6 February 2012

The Bitter Winds

10 days ago I had given up hoping that I would see snow in Lyon. The sun was shining then at it was 15 degrees. The flowers were already in bloom and it felt as if spring was here.

HOWEVER.... Just a few days later, the temperature dropped. Tuesday morning of last week, my childhood dream of opening my curtains and looking out to a backyard covered in snow came true!

See? The snow came to me!



This is what I did over the next few hours that beautiful, white Tuesday -



So basically shortly after frolicking around and rolling snow balls etc etc for a while... The snow started to MELT! This was very saddening. By the end of the day there wasn't much left. Unfortunately, this was the night where the temperatures dropped drastically to -15 degrees. Everything was frozen over and and there was ice everywhere.... This was the day that I invested in a down coat. Temperatures have just got lower and lower.... And there is wind, too. It is icy. Icy-er than icy.

On Wednesday I had two sets of guests arrive. ChloƩ and Baptiste swung by and so did Cara (from Melbourne) and Holly. Needless to say, it was a full house. We had a lot of fun over the next few days going on outings and eating delicious cheeses purchased at Les Halles.

Saturday we had planned to go tobogganing in Grenoble. Cara, Holly and I prepared ourselves early for the trip. Dressing involved the following stages:


                                                        






IT IS COLLLLLLLLLLLD. Did I mention that?

So we trekked up to Grenoble and then our tobogganing plans fell through due to lack of organisation... Which was really frustrating. We did enjoy walking around in the snow for a bit, though. I took these pictures.


                                     The white figures up there are not clouds!



                                                          View from the train


Today I went to Place des Terreaux and saw that the fountain has frozen over. It looks so beautiful... It's amazing, as the water is still circulating through it. Caro told me that in the whole time that she has lived in Lyon, she has never seen the fountain frozen over like that. Look how beautiful it is:




So - over and out from bitter cold, snow-less Lyon where the bitter winds blow and the sub zero temperatures make Melbourne seem like Hawaii in comparison!

- Alice

No comments: