Monday 28 May 2012

Temples and Things



What's so significant about this image? The original sculpture stands in an old church in Copenhagen, Denmark. The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints were granted permission to replicate it for the visiter's centre at Temple Square in Salt Lake City. I took Jordan to the one in Copenhagen, and here we were standing in front of its twin in SLC. It was awesome.

As you may have already gathered, Saturday called for a trip up to Temple Square. The spring flowers were in full bloom and people were enjoying the beautiful temple grounds. Jordan and I went to the visiter's centre and looked at a number of important, historical church buildings. For a Latter-Day Saint, a trip to Temple Square is some sort of pilgrimage I suppose. It was a really good experience to see for real all of these beautiful places that we see so frequently on a daily basis as members of the church. A friend of mine, Anja is currently serving a mission at Temple Square and I was hoping to run into her - but unfortunately we didn't cross paths.

Here are some pictures (unfortunately Saturday was overcast)








This is what Jordan did when I told him to sniff the pretty flowers...



After our trip to Temple Square, we walked past some administrative buildings, through an outdoor shopping complex and then towards the best American meal I have eaten thus far...




BIG but utterly delicious pizza.



Yesterday after church we went for a walk at the temple in American Fork. It's probably one of the most beautiful temples I've ever seen and is set before mount Timpanogos. It's stunning. The dogs enjoyed the stroll, too. Unfortunately I forgot my camera this time!

When I told American friends I was going to Utah, most of them were wondering what it was that I would do in Utah (as if there was nothing at all to do here). There is plenty to do in Utah and it's absolutely beautiful. So SO beautiful. Here is a picture of only some of the mountains that can be seen from Jordan's back fence.



As for the rest of last week - well, it was spent crocheting. I was making a baby blanket for Shelby, (Jordan's sister who is soon to have a baby), but I got super excited and the blanket grew and grew and grew (it's still growing and far from completion. Must crochet the border, too!).

That and documentaries on this amazing thing called Netflix is what is keeping me entertained from 6am till 5pm (the hours that Jordan is at work). But I'm not complaining. I don't think it could be much better right now. I'm so happy to be here and so grateful to have all of these experiences.

- Alice

No comments: