Friday 17 February 2012

Frozen

So apparently Europe has experienced its coldest winter in 30 years and several hundred people have died from the cold. This doesn't surprise me. The last couple of weeks it's just been impossible to go outside. It's like when it's +40 with hot wind back home, though the opposite. When it's -18 degrees and you have a northerly arctic wind blowing in your face and lose feeling in your toes... nose....  Everything, it's better to stay in, sip some Milo and laugh at the freezing weather lingering just beyond the windows.

Teresa, a friend of Wendy's who I met in London came to stay earlier this week. She's been travelling around Europe. I took her on my unofficial Lyon tour which I think was pleasing.... Despite those bitter winds, some cool pictures were taken.

Here's the fountain again at Place des Terreaux. This time it was entirely frozen:


Here are some Roman ruins up Fourvière. I think it's amazing that the original marble floors are still in tact.


I really do live in a beautiful city. Can you see that the river has half frozen over? Yes. That is ICE.
Here we have a frozen river close up

On Tuesday the weather warmed up drastically. The sudden 'heat wave' meant that it was then warm enough to get a bit of snow. I do realise how ridiculous that sounds - but yes.. So apparently if it's too cold, it won't snow. We had the perfect temperature though, because when I woke up there was someone outside shovelling snow... And I then had the absolute pleasure of going out and walking around in the oh so soft, but crunch, crunch stuff. Here are some snaps from my venture.













So besides the weather, it's been a rather quiet week. I'm now on winter break for a week before I go back to finish the other half of the term. Caroline's been busy with exams the last week and we've had a good time telling her to get to her room and get along with it. This has involved a physical M&M's fight, meowing, shutting doors and poking. We've also all had bonding time with Mela. We worked out that if we meow at her, she comes bounding up, looking very worried and then nestles next to you. This is how Mela and I spent our afternoon:


Out to dinner tonight with Caroline and then talk-writing for Sunday (yes, I'm giving a talk at church in French)! 

Enjoy your sunshine and cheap mangoes before school goes back!

Alice

No comments: