Monday 20 February 2012

Thawing Out

On Saturday I gave the 'tour' of Lyon again, to a Canadian friend from church called Michael. We went ALL OVER the city. We even ran into an antique book market along the river Saône, where I found not only an ancient book, printed in 1750 (including the works of famous French philosophers) but even old fashion advertisements that had featured in French newspapers in the year 1900. The city is finally thawing out.... People were on the streets and some were even playing music. Oh how I'm longing for a bit of warm weather...


Yesterday I gave my first talk at church in French. I felt very pleased with myself. Mela helped me study in preparation.


After church, Emmanuel decided that we were going to have a crêpes night at my place. I ended up inviting everyone (most importantly Estelle and Laura, who brought eggs, milk... the crêpe pans and most other things). With seven of us squeezed into my tiny student kitchen, I was taught the ancient French art of 'Crêpes'. After flipping a good 12 of these things, I was then considered honorarily French. I felt rather proud.

Following the actual process of crêpe-cooking, there was an obligatory round of fun and some obscure French game. Emmanuel had us laughing all night. Refer to the video below.


Following the last few weeks of extremely cold temperatures (yes, dear friends - I just lived through Europe's coldest winter in THIRTY YEARS), the sun has finally decided to peak through the clouds again. Today was simply lovely. A balmy 3 degrees and sun. I think I may have climatised.

I decided to go to the park today, after having completed several hours worth of intense spring cleaning (yes, motivation found me again. Thank you, sunshine). It was a little colder than I was hoping... And I probably should have worn a hat. OH WELL. The park was so beautiful. The ice has started to melt and people were out again.









There is a couple who sit every afternoon, in the same place in my apartment block. Everyone knows about them... Who they are and where they sit... That it's 'their' place. Sometimes they listen to music, each one with one headphone.... Sometimes they're just talking.... Sometimes just holding each other. Anyway.... They always seem surprised when someone sees them. I feel like saying "Well, guys - you did claim a rather public place for your couple-business." They've been absent from their post for a while now (due to the cold weather, I guess) but today they were BACK! Now, this is a good sign, because

A. It means that it's warm enough to be outside for more than 10 minutes at a time and

B. They're still together and I can continue smiling about them sitting in such a funny place

Have a lovely week, soon to be Autumn weather lovers!

Alice


1 comment:

Just a girl said...

Aw, lovely! Sounds like fun times :) Love the gorgeous photos - also, you have a cat?!

It's not even honorary any more - you're 100% French! Baby, you were born this way :D

Also - I totally know the couple you're talking about! haha.

miss you so much!! thanks for the updates :)

xo